Supreme Court junks 2 DQ cases against Marcos Jr.

The Supreme Court upheld the legality of the candidacy of President-elect Ferdinand Marcos Jr. where the tribunal dismissed the petitions requesting his disqualification.

In a media statement at the end of the regular en banc session, the high court said it decided 13-0 to dismiss two petitions-G.R. No. 260374 (Fr. Christian B. Buenafe, et al. V. Commission on Elections, et al.) And G. R. No. 260426 (Bonifacio P. Ilagan, et al. V. Commission on Elections, et al.).

ADVERTISEMENT

The Court believes that in exercising its to decide the present controversy they came to no other conclusion than that respondent Marcos Jr. is qualified to run and be elected to public office.

“The Court held that in the exercise of its to decide the present controversy led them to no other conclusion but that respondent Marcos Jr. is qualified to run for and be elected to public office. Likewise, his COC (Certificate of Candidacy), being valid and in accord with the pertinent law, was rightfully upheld by the Comelec (Commission on Elections),” said SC.

Associate Justices Antonio Kho and Henri Jean Paul Inting did not participate in the deliberations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Kho is a former Comelec commissioner while Inting’s brother Socorro is an incumbent commissioner and the acting chair to this day.

Supreme Court junks 2 DQ cases against Marcos Jr.

The SC ruling upheld the poll body’s resolutions, dated Jan. 17 and May 10, dismissing the petitions against Marcos for lack of merit.

Also on Tuesday, the SC confirmed that Chief Justice Alexander Gesmundo had been asked to give the oath of office to Marcos Jr. at his inauguration at the National Museum of the Philippines grounds in Manila.

ADVERTISEMENT

Incoming Executive Secretary Vic Rodriguez had earlier said Marcos would follow the tradition of letting the Chief Justice administer the inauguration.

Meanwhile, the Department of Health (DOH) this Tuesday reminded attendees of the inauguration of President-elect Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. to wear a and adhere to minimum health protocols.

This is in the face of the gradual increase in COVID-19 positives in the country.

According to Health Secretary Francisco Duque III, past large gatherings have proven that wearing a effectively prevents COVID infection.

Visit our Facebook page for more  updates.