The death toll has risen to four in the magnitude 7 earthquake that shook Abra this Wednesday morning. It was felt in the National Capital Region and neighboring provinces.
In the Interior and Local Government Secretary Benjamin Abalos Jr. report to President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., the secretary said two were killed in Benguet, one in Abra and one in Mountain Province.
“Sixty [ang] injured and so far po apat ang nabalitaang nasawian ng buhay, four deaths. Of these four, two are in Benguet, one each in Abra and Mountain Province,” said Abalos.
According to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS), the earthquake, which was first reported at magnitude 7.3, occurred at 8:43 a.m. and its epicenter was found 17.64°N, 120.63°E – 003 km N 45° W of the town of Tayum. It has a depth of 17 kilometers.
In a press conference, Press Secretary Trixie Cruz-Angeles said that President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. would fly to Abra if the situation in the area is safe.
Earlier, National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) spokesperson Mark Timbal said that the construction worker died due to falling debris.
Such an earthquake is tectonic in origin, with the following intensities:
- Intensity VII – Bucloc and Manabo, Abra
Death toll in Abra earthquake reaches 4; 60 injured
- Intensity VI – Vigan City, Sinait, Bantay, San Esteban, Ilocos Sur; Laoac, Pangasinan; Baguio City;
- Intensity V – Magsingal at San Juan, Ilocos Sur, Alaminos City at Labrador, Pangasinan; Bambang, Nueva Vizcaya; Mexico, Pampanga; Concepcion, at Tarlac City, Tarlac; City of Manila; City of Malabon;
- Intensity IV – City of Marikina; Quezon City; City of Pasig; City of Valenzuela; City of Tabuk, Kalinga; Bautista at Malasiqui, Pangasinan; Bayombong at Diadi, Nueva Vizcaya; Guiguinto, Obando, at San Rafael, Bulacan; San Mateo, Rizal
- Intensity III – Bolinao, Pangasinan; Bulakan, Bulacan; Tanay, Rizal
- Intensity II – General Trias City, Cavite; Santa Rosa City, Laguna
PHIVOLCS chief Renato Solidum said other areas may have felt the Intensity VIII tremor.
“[Intensity] VII pa lang ang confirmed… tinitingnan natin, most likely, ay puwede magkaroon diyan ng Intensity VIII,” said Solidum.
According to Solidum, people in areas that felt Intensity V can now return to their homes or work.