A woman died while eight are currently recovering among 16 neighbors who allegedly experienced food poisoning due to the chicken mami they ate in Tondo, Manila.
In a report by Darlene Cay in Unang Balita on Thursday, it was said that even the seller of chicken mami was hospitalized among the eight recovering at Tondo Medical Center.
According to the salesman, he did not know how the food poisoning happened.
Before this, some neighbors in Barangay 172 in Gagalangin experienced vomiting, dizziness, weakness, and stomach pain.
CCTV of the barangay shows relatives and neighbors taking care of a child who is dizzy until he vomits. A few moments later, the child behind him fainted, fainting, and completely lost consciousness.
Following this, a woman also fainted.
One by one, the victims were taken to the barangay service and rushed to the hospital.
Among the 16 rushed to the hospital were children, a senior citizen, and a Person with Disability (PWD).
According to Kenneth Restar, a relative of 75-year-old Levita Manila, the grandmother experienced dizziness, hand numbness, and vomiting.
Aling Levita was taken to Tondo General Hospital, while her daughter Josefina Manila, 45, a PWD, was left behind due to her intellectual disability.
“May nagmalasakit tumingin sa itaas nila. Nakita si ate na bumubula na ang bibig, dinala na po si ate dito (ospital),” said Restar.
1 dead in chicken mami food poisoning in Tondo
Later, Josefina died.
The mother of chicken mami seller Aner Dela Vega also experienced nausea and vomiting.
Dela Vega was puzzled about why this happened to their customers.
“Ayon sa kuwento ng anak ko, wala naman po siyang ibang halo dahil almost 20 years na siyang nagtitinda niyan, kaya lang, hindi totally araw-araw. Walang kakaibang ginawa,” said Dela Vega.
Dela Vega’s family apologized to those who fell ill and said they did not like what happened. However, they are also willing to cooperate with the authorities.
Police are currently investigating the incident, while a sample of chicken mami has been provided to Tondo Medical Center to determine if it is the cause of food poisoning.
The barangay also continues to help the victims.